Nov 6, 2015

Work

Note from Mom

I know that we have a large family and it requires a lot of work and participation from everyone.  Until recently, I felt about work the same way you do, as a necessary evil that we need to get through before we enjoy and partake of the more fun parts of life.  I now realize that work isn’t an “evil” but it is a series of opportunities for us to focus on our family relationships and grow closer together.  I hope that you will joyfully engage with me in the years to come.

The family proclamation says, " Parents have a sacred duty to  to teach [their children] to love and serve one another."

Work is an opportunity for families to grow closer together.

Read "Working Together" from the June 1975 Friend.

Watch "The Fence"

What are obstacles that prevent us from enjoying work together?
Brainstorm ways to remove these obstacles.

What are some family projects that we could do together?

Quote:
"One young mother recalls pondering during scripture study why family work constantly requires every hour of every day.  While reading about the law of Moses, she realized that 'just as the law was designed to remind the people of the Lord, our family work has been designed to point our hearts toward the central reason we are here on the earth -- to build a family.'  If children were never underfoot and only had to be fed once a day, parents would get distracted.  'But because they are spitting up on us, whining to us, dumping cereal on our floors, and saying "Mommy?" all day, there's no way we can forget [were] our focus needs to be.'"
p221

Story Excerpt:
That’s when I experienced an overwhelming feeling of divine approval. It was so clear, precise, and tangible that I knew I had to write it down so I wouldn’t forget. I could see my day replay in my mind—full of feeding the hungry, doing laundry to clothe the naked (I changed Caden’s outfit multiple times), gently caring for our sick baby, helping our five-year-old prepare a family home evening lesson on missionary work, and then discussing the power of example with my family—in other words, helping people spiritually and temporally.
The impression flowed with such an overpowering feeling of peace that I knew the Lord was telling me He had accepted my offering. In caring for my family, I was fulfilling the admonitions of King Benjamin and President Eyring.
(July 2009 Ensign, "Latter-day Saint Voices: Was I Living the Gospel Fully?")

Homefront Video:
SciFi

No comments:

Post a Comment